Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Salmon and Pancake feast!

I had a really good night last night. A friend called Gary who works on a salmon farm came round and gave me a huge salmon (when I say huge I mean gigantic!) so loads of us got together and each cooked dishes and had a big feast! the salmon was scrumptious, the best I have ever had.. all the better for being so fresh! I learnt a few new dishes to try which was cool! Ronan went and picked the lemons and limes and its amazing how much flavour they add to dishes! and I absolutely love roast kumara! Its different from the english sweet potatoe as there is a few different varieties over here.
and of course it was pancake day so us English introduced all the other nationalities to pancake day and had lots of pancakes for pudding!
Then to end the evening Stu from Scotland lit these pai and swung them round in circles and in diffferent swirls. A couple of other people tried but I thought seeing as though I burn myself if I so much as light a candle then swinging around these balls that are on fire might not be a good plan! So I just watched and took photos! I will put them online when I can! I might try and put my photos on Cd at work today - as none of the backpacker computers allow you to put your USB cable into their computers or download anything (I guess as otherwise we'd alll be downloading everything!)
I'm not sure what my internet access will be like when I leave Akaroa, I'm lucky with this job as I get free internet (and laundry - which is another huge bonus for me!)
The weather had been pretty bizarre this week, but then people often say you can have 4 seasons in one day in the peninsular! Yesterday it was freezing in the morning, hot in the afternoon, then went freezing again so I had to have two thick jumpers on it the evening and two big duvets on at night and now its really hot again! the evenings and nights are often cold but not usually as bad as last night! someone was saying that snow is even forcast on Thursday in the peninsular! Thats mad seeing as though today people are laying on the beach getting a sun tan! thats what makes it so hard to know what to pack! (so Louise when your packing to come out next month you need warm PJ's and jumpers for the evenings and probably something cool for the days! Be aware you can do laundry pretty much everyday so you don't have to bring more than 1 or 2 of each)! I wish I had brought half as much as I did!
So I only have 11 days left in Akaroa. Eva and I are going to stay at Onuku farm on Sunday night in the stargazer hut. Its meant to be amazing there and I can't wait! Its out in the middle of nowhere (about 6kms from Akaroa) in a maori village. We have managed to get monday morning off together so we can head back in time for work in the afternoon!

2 comments:

Paul E said...

Bournemouth weather is just pretty much around freezing with the odd wussy snow shower that doesn't lay.

Way to introduce pancake day to the natives! :-)

Melissa said...

well its pretty changeable here too but at least when its sunny its very sunny, got burnt yesterday!
yeah I feel its an essential tradition for them to learn!!