So... I am in Thames!
it was sad leaving the island, as usual went fishing wednesday and thursday before I left.
Also climbed Mount Hobson. Several points up it I thought I was going to die (either from slipping off the side or from exhaustion!) It was so slippy and I was very glad of the tree roots to hang on to to pull myself up! But.. there was amazing views! and I was lucky as it was a beautiful day! I didnt see a soul for four and a half hours! I had so much time to think! its amazing what you think about when you have the time, the things that have happened in my life and the people who have been part of my life for however short a time or long a time. I get lost in my thoughts often and people must think I'm really quiet. When people try to get my attention its like they have to shout to get my attention! but Thames should be different, for a start I'm living in a flat share with 2 other backpackers called Jess and Matt, they both seem nice, have only met them briefly! I need to e rbought out of my thoughts a bit!
So, on my last night on the island I went to the club (the bar), had a couple of drinks (strangely have not felt like getting drunk in months). The men on the island are more than rugged, its strange how back in England I wanted a more rugged man but theres rugged and theres rugged. I think on great barrier the men smell of fish are covered in mud and have lots of facial hair. They also talk about fishing tackle, nails and all things practical alot! So I'm, not sure what I would have in common with a man on the island if I did meet one I fancied! but maybe i'm being unfair and generalising.
One thing that surprised me was the smoking pot all the time. Its a big thing over there, at work they all seem to stop several times a day for a smoke! It grows everywhere, people have all their own crops and it even grows in the bushes, maybe thats why the island is packed with young people over new year. I cant imagine it being like that! it must be so different!
Thames has a paknsave which is good cheap food wise! so have been by the supermarket and got a few bits in! Not sure what I'm going to be doing here, have to work 18 hours a week. Jess said something about a market tomorrow. Its all new and stuff right now, theres going to be lots to learn! (am a bit nervous but everyone seems nice which is good!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
:-) Pot smoking part of everyday culture huh? Wow I know a few people whom would like that!
yeah I think english people come over for that alot!, we were in the pub last night and the boys could just get a pipe out and stand in the doorway (no smoking in pubs).
Post a Comment