Tuesday, May 09, 2006

time to think!

Thebest thing about this island is that it gives me time to think! As I weed in complete solitude (apart from a few pukekos squawking) I go off into a day dream so that paul and trish end up having to shout me several times to go and have lunch! I like all this time to think! I end up thinking of more things I want to do in life though so I'm going to be kept busy!!
Firstly I want to pass my driving test, as soo n as I get back to england I am going to take lessons, and none of this I cant afford it stuff, its going to have to be a priority. Then I can but a campervan and travel round england and europe working my way around. (I may or may not do Austrailia first)
One thing that made me laugh was how worried I was about coming home via Australia at Xmas and New Year, I was worried about the noise and people clubbing!!! Then rose (frankie and lucy's nanna) reminded me it was fun busy! AH sometimes I think I old before my time, New Year is meant to be fun. I probably should be out drinking and having a laugh! So I guess its the best place to be! Lol! something else was that I saw a pilot yesterday and had to stop myuself voicing the words "gosh he looks too young to be pilot". That would really mean I'm old if I start saying things like that!!
Havent managed to change my flights yet. am waiting for an email back from brighton sta. I have decided to chnage it as planned in last enrty but am not panicking, it is not set in stone. if I start thinking I have to leave in january I start getting upset. So I just tell myself just see how it goes!
Today we went out fishing (we were meant to go yesterday but the weather wasnt right do I visited the local school instead) it has a total of 52 pupils and 3 classes. Its really cute and I got to walk round it all and meet all the children and teachers! alot of the kids recognise me anyway now which is cool! I can imagine it wouldnt take long to get to know everyone on the whole island! As for teaching here, the girls and all cute the boys are wild! Thir all out shooting wildpigs by the time they are 10! Shooting season has started for birds btw so I hear a few gunshots now wnd then. Paul shot a rabbit this morning, they eat rabbit alot but apparently not today so I will try rabbit for the first time another time. Just as well I'm not still vegetarian huh?! anyway back to fishing!! I caught 2 wopping snapper! Fish of the day for me!! How cool! I caught smaller ones too but these were huge!wait till you see the photos!! I was so proud!! I really like fishing! i though it was meant to be boring but its not!! fish are contantly biting, I'm learning a new skill and I get to see dolphins frolicking in the water! (lots today). We caught squid too so I'm learning all the different methods of catching stuff! Apparently on Friday we will go and get some cray. maybe out the pots down on Thursday!
am getting attached to the girls, we play games and stuff when they get in from school from hide and seek to rumikub. Its fun!!
I'm still reading lots. The local library in claris is good so I get alot of the best sellers.am reading "Swallowing Grandma" at the moment which is good!
I am still covered in mosquito bites (i'm hoping that one day they will think I'm a local and stop biting me!) it was good when lou was here as they bit her instead!
I'm getting over the OCD I used to have back in enlgand for cleanliness! I dont have the option to wash my clothes if they've so much as touched me here so I just wear them until their disgusting! How many baths I have depends on how hot it is (solar warmed) or if the fire is on (fire warmed!) I love this kind of living but dont think I would be able to do it forver! I gotaid today from the work in the thai restaurant the other day which was cool. I could get a job an a nanny as well which I am considering short term. I love the island and love the live but maybe a small village would be more me for longer term. Here would be a hell of a lot better if I could drive. Paul is going to take me up to the camp ground for a driving lesson this week, so that will be cool! I desperately need to learn to drive! Its essential for out in NZ, I can hardly hitch in to work everyday can I?!
Its a pity I'm not still going out with that guy from years back - Jon. He was really into fishing and I used to think it was boring and never went with him - maybe I should get back in touch now and say "lets go fishing?!" not that I have his address out here so thats not going to happen! (see thats what happens when I have lots of time to think!) but its good to get some of it down on paper (as such) as then its not all swimming around in my brain and I can think abiut something else instead and you lot will just have to put up with all the ramble!
I bought 2 envelopes from the post office (not really noteworthy stuff youight sa but of course here going to the post office is a trek and a half!.. anyway am going to send some more stuff back to england. Have decided to send in back there rather than to tony and Pats in torbay as one day I'm going to have to colledt all my stuf from theirs and then carry it around the rest of NZ and australia and thailand, so at least sending it back to england gets rid of it properly. I was thinking I might get my flight out of NZ from Christchurch so I would have to get my stuff from Pat and Tony's when I go back to Auckland from here (aghh so much to think about when I really dont want to think about things at all?!) however it would be useful to fly from christchurch as then I wouldnt have to come back to the north island at all. The plan is once I leave great barrier I will maybe spend a day or 2 on waiheke island then head down to the coraomandel, down to the bay of plenty, to gisbourne and then over to the south island. Thats planned loosely of course. who knows what will happen?!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Hello! How are you? yeah its so easy here.. fish everywhere. just watched this programme on the telly about fishing in enlgand and it looked like a lot of wating around, the most waiting I have here is a few minutes and thats probably because I've been baited, usually they take the bait on the drop! (notice all the technical terms!)

Melissa said...

oh dont worry we check the tides every morning, they change an hour later everyday so tomorrow we can go out at 6am, the next day 7am, the next dday 8am!! Lol! i know my stuff!! the tides are more important when we go cray pot fishing!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed Melissa with all this fishing knowledge (I'll have to send you out on Jim's dads boat when you get back!!!) You can catch some for us then.
love mum

Melissa said...

Yeah I like fishing, still havent actually killed a fish yet though I have to admit. I might be brave and do it on the next trip out! I let Paul do the killing bit!