Thursday, May 25, 2006

Whenuekite

I'm in Whenuekite now at www.seabreezetouristpark.co.nz I am going to work here for a week before moving on. (pronounced fenooakeetee)
My boss is a lovely lady called dawn and I am living in the backpackers accomodation - a converted cow shed.
I arrived yesterday - it was about an hour from my last place in Thames. Its about 25kms from a supermarket so had got my supplies in. Though unexpectedly we ended up going into town today (Whitianga) so that was cool, had a good look aorund and a wander round the shops. Bought myself a wooly hat to keep my warm on the South Island. It was such a nightmare trying to find one I liked!!
So this morning I moved the lawn ( I like mowing so thats cool), some weeding, cleaned some windows, and did some maintenance like changing light bulbs etc (all on my own! - normally I rely on men in my life to do those type of things but out here I am learning new skills)!
My last day nigth in Thames I bumped into an old friend Amanda - she wandered in the shop after having been on a mana retreat (this shows she has money as its extortionate there! -thats the place I visited for the day with Paul). I met Amanda originally In Orewa when I first met Paul and she is quite good friends with him so she was asking me all about that which was difficult as I didnt really want to say "well really I dont want to see him again!" But apparently he's told her I'm a wonderful person so at least thats nice to hear! anyway Amanda came round mine for a bit, she got extrememely drunk though - thats the risk of going near that flat I guess!
I shall miss my flat in Thames I had got used to living with Matt and Jess but it was a complete drug den!
They have token operated showers here so I am having to get used to washing my hair and having my legs in 8 minutes! I guess its a good idea to conserve water and power. Luckily I get a free token everyday!
The farm I am living on has still got some cows but they have moved most of the cows to their farm on the South Island. They also have lots of kiwifruit.
They have subdivided and sold loads of their land. A few houses have been built and each of the houses they have sold has 50 acres each. they have kept 100 acres, so its pretty big, and all green and beautiful!! they have a lovely house and have invited me up for dinner tomorrow as lots of people are going round for dinner and watching the rugby. (Havent watched much rugby out here really so really should do the kiwi thing!)
Hopefully if the weather is nice Dawn is going to take we to hot water beach which is 7kms away. You just dig yourself a hole and hot water comes up. It can be as hot as 65 degrees so you have to be quite careful! But I cant wait!! The weather was pretty terrible today though so hopefully it wont be the same tomorrow. Maybe while I'm online I shall check the forcast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't pronounce the name of where you are!!!
We are off to Lake Garda in italy tomorrow so won't be in contact for a week unless we find internet access.
You will probably have moved on by the time we contact you again.
Happy days.
love mum xx

Melissa said...

I had no idea you were going on holiday. (You probably did mention it ages ago but have a bad memory) anyway, have a great time!! yep I should be moving on Saturday, so will book myself a bus ticket to Tauranga for that day.