I had a shock yesterday when I got an email from dad and found out my mum had, had an accident the other day. Nobody is sure what happened but it assumed she fainted and hurt herself on the way down, but was unconsious for a long time. I wasnt told until she was "out of the woods". She is now out of hospital and all that but it is still very worrying. She has to wait for tests to find out what caused it.
Anyway I phoned home for the first time in 6 months and spoke to mum which was really nice. I felt emotional and missed her and was worried about her. She said she looks a mess as she has stitches on her face. It was lovely to speak to her!
Last night I also watched the film "Once were Warriors" a maori film which is really heavy going. alot of people had warned me to be brave watching it! its is basically about Domestic Violence so at least I think it was easier for me to watch because of my old job! But I did shed a tear or two I have to admit! Anyway, you should watch it! its very famous over here as well as Whale Rider of course. The good thing is being able to find out more about maori culture but maoris are generally very against once were warriors as it shows them in a bad light (ie very violent). I can see their point as it does. but statictically I think the maoris are more likely to be living in poverty. I was reading the paper last night about 3 month old maori twins who have been killed (presumably by a family member - it is being investigated), anyway I read that violence and child death is twice as likley to occur in maori families than any other race. that is a truly shocking statistic.
Anyway on a lighter note. cadburys chocolate over hre although is has the funny anto melting agent in it which makes it taste funny has so many different types than in England. First off theres Black forest which has cherry jelly bits and biscuitty bits in and the new ones are Cadburys Desserts chocolates, which come in 3 types, chocolate brownie (chocolate filled with gooey brownie), banoffi (cocolate filled with banana flavoured toffee) and lemon cheesecake (you get the idea!) anyway they are so SCRUMMY!! do you have these in england yet?
When I first came to NZ (in the summer) I thought it was really quaint that NZ houses do not have heating.. now quaint is not quite how I would describe it! Are they insane? I am not sure I can hack another winter in NZ when the majority of backpackers (and apparently houses - I asked at work today) do not have heating. After all log fires only heat the lounge - what about the rest of the house - how on earth is anyone supposed to get out of bed in the mornings?! I thin kI will leave NZ in May and go to Australia. as much as I love it here I am not mad keen on the winters!! and the thought that winter doesnt really end until September does not fill me with joy!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hiya,
Glad your Mum's ok, i dunno what can you do with them!
Perhaps i sd get my comapny to come and install central heating in NZ, I cd be their rep!
Am off to see Chilli Peppers on sun v exciting!
Anna
xxxx
yeah was weird being other side of the world and not being able to visit mum in hospital. It was really bad! but she is recovering now - but having lots of tests.
yeah you should get them over here! Nowwhere has heating!! of course that might spoil the environmentally friendly vibe they have going on!
enjoy the chilli peppers! One day I might have some money and be able to go to a gig!
M x
Post a Comment