Inbetween wanting to kill Beverley I have done some interesting stuff, yesterday I went quadbiking round the farm with Douglas to do sheep mustering, they have 5000 sheep.
Today I got up at 6am and helped worm the lambs, we also separated the lambs from the sheep which means lots of noise and panic!
This afternoon I tried my hand at sheep sheering. I didn't do much admittedly because its bloody hard work but I gave it a go!
Some sheep facts for you!
- Sheep dont have teeth at the bottom of their mouth, only at the top
- Sheeps teeth are what let them down, they have to be killed when their teeth start getting dodgy age 5ish (all their teeth fall out)
- farmers clip ears to tell sheep apart, here its boys have left ears clipped, girls have right ears clipped, and then you have different coloured tabs for each year so you can tell how old a sheep is.. they might have a 1 or 2 or a clour sprayed on them to say if they are twin or not..
- Sheep will get worms so have to be wormed
- Sheep panic and run into fences so hard that they knock themselves uncosious, break their necks or genrally kill themselves and when you have them waiting to get sheared etc and they are running about in pens panicking they sometimes get crushed and killed a bit like a rock concert I guess! This happened to a couple today..
- Sheep dogs are bloody intelligent! (They really do everything their told!)
I also did several hours weeding today which was good, I like weeding, I can just be in the sun day dreaming! (and its peaceful from the incessant chatter of Beverley).
By the way Invercargill is a nice place, I was told by everyone it was a dump but I was really surprised when i got there to find its a big town with lots of shops.. had a really good day there.
When I was at the motel Marie always used to bitch about how stupid the cutomers were for leaving stuff behind.. I always said I couldnt say anything as I was pretty hopeless at leaving stuff everywhere. On the journey from Franz Josef to Te Anau I managed to lose my sleeping bag somewhere.. I've phoned all the bus companies but it seems lost forever, From Te Anau to Invercargill I lost a flowery blue t shirt and toothpaste.. How hopeless am I? Still theres no point getting upset over it, on the bright side theres less to pack..!
Tomorrow I am going into kindergarten with someone I met at a gift party the other day to see whether its like it is back home and if I'd like to work in one over here or not.. It'll be something different anyway..
Gift parties are these parties that brides to be have, they invite people round and everyone gives them a present for the house (t towels, pans, measuring cups, knives - that sort of thing) and have a kind of posh high tea and play games.. Its fun. Although you werent allowed to reach for food yousefl you had to wait until someone came round and brought you some.. it was a kind of torture to watch this food siting on a table in the middle...!
Apparently some brides to be will have loads of these parties for different groups of people and all the women in the community will come.. so you end up with a stack of presents!!
Anyway, am getting fed far too well here, when the guests are here its a 3 course breakfast luch and dinner.. even when there are no guests we eat bloody well.. I learnt how to make a pavlova the other day! today self saucing chocolate cake.. Yummmy!!
Its funny how I swore I would not work with children while I was here but somehow children always seem to work their way into my life here.. at the moment its Tadgh, Beverleys grandsom who has chicken pox, he cant go to nursery so is coming to ours everyday..
2 comments:
wow, those bride to be parties sound like a great idea, wish Danni could have had some of those. :-)
Made me smile what you said about sheep dogs, I loved mine loads while he was around. New his left from his right and everything :-)
yeah, certainly a good way to get a tonne of pressies!!
I couldnt believe how clever they are, Douglas would just say, Jess go and get sheep to the right and off she'd go..!
Hmnn sometimes I think I dont have enough patience with children.. but I realised the other day at the Kindergarden that I have missed being around babies so I'm sure I'll find my way back in to it..
Post a Comment