Monday, February 12, 2007

Back in Dunedin again..

well am back in Dunedin again after a week on the farm in Milton.. I had a great time and was really sorry to leave. They have said I can come back and visit at weekends though which is great! Its only 45 minutes from Dunedin too so its highly likely I will!
They had a sheep and deer farm.. which I really didnt have much to do with to be honest.. apart from a morning in the shearing sheds. I mostly helped around the house weeding and painting a garden fence and helping to look after their 20 month old son Ryan who is really cute!
I was looked after really well and made to feel really welcome which was great!
We went on a girls night out one night with friends of Jen's which was nice, had a dinner out and a few drinks..
another day we went to Crystalls beach where Jens brother has a crib (interesting fact - they are called bach's on the north island and cribs on the south island.. I think we just call them holidays homes?!) I could happily live in one of these cute wee cribs!
another day we were meant to be going for a picnic but the weather was crappy so we had an indoor picnic at jens mums house which was nice..
on my first day there much to Jen and Steves amusement I had 2 "dates"! (although really werent dates!)
It was quite strange as when I arrived in milton (hitched in with a truck driver.. who very sweetly gave me his number if I ever need anything in the future!) and had this weird feeling Nookie was nearby. He rang me later to say he had driven by me...and came to see me the next day. It was nice to see him again.. we talked about him getting back with his wife (think he needed a womans prespective) also amusingly the world being the small place it is.. he had heard he was on the internet.. he didnt know what a web blog was and doesnt go on the internet but had heard through the grape vine that he was on my blog.. now i dont give anyone my blog address...just shows I have to be more careful not to gossip about people! (though hopefully I'm not gossiping..hopefully I'm just saying whats going on in my life..)
and the other "date" was Ken, the guy I met during my interview in dunedin.. he was travelling back up to Christchurch and called in to see me which was great! We have been texting and I am going to go up and see him 4th March and to go to a festival together. (Cheep as Chips) so am looking forward to that!! I felt a bit bad arriving back at my new job today for my first day and saying.. can I have a few days off?!! but its not for a couple of weeks yet so I thougt its best to ask as soon as!
They seem very laid back at my job.. I hope I'm going to like it.. I feel a bit weird settling somewhere new.
She texted me a couple of days to check I would be back when I said and telling me it was busy the next day she was sending the text(maybe hinting I could come back a day earlier)?
But I got back today and I dont have to work today and am just cleaning (unpaid -just in exchange of my bed) tomorrow.. I hope the reception work starts asap I need some cash! I will chat to Monica tonight who I am taking over from and see when she is leaving as I have to shadow her for a while before she goes. and I think she would like to leave asap!
I think i can manage the job fine.. the only thing that may be hard is the sheets.. Maya folds them sooo perfectly and I'm not sure I will be able to fold them that perfectly! still a new thing to learn I guess! Its funny! Everywhere I work had their own way of folding everything, from tea towels to sheets and usually it has to be just soo.. its real pain to learn all these different ways..!! and who knew there were so many ways to fold a tea towel! still at east its not stressful like working in the refuge!
Jen was talking last night about her friend who works for social services type thing.. and the fact she is scared at the moemtn as soem guy is on the rampage because she reported him for abuse and the kids have been taken away.. god I dont miss that type of work.. the fear and stress are just not worth it. but its cool, at leats I can cross all these types of jobs off the lisdt now.. I think i had mental health worker on the list of pssible careers too, cross that off..!
I'm feeling weird as it feels like everyones leaving!
Ana went back to Brazil on the 2nd Feb, Eva is off back to Holland next month and since shes on the north island I wont get to see her again before she goes..and Vincent is going back in April.. I'm going to miss them all. Hopefully Vincent is going to come and see me in Dunedin before he goes which'll be great, but it will still be a goodbye which will be sad.
I will have to make new friends! Their are 3 other workers apart from the bosses at Hogwarts.
Monica (whose job I am taking) so she is leaving soon, Sofia from Taiwan who has very little English but she is leaving on the 19th, Yuko from Japan who seems nice and she will be hear for a couple of months, and a girl whose name I cant remember who started today.. she is from California and will be hear for the next month.. so hopefully I will make friends with them! Its good to make friends with people who are going to be here more than one night!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I know, I know.. I think crime in general is a lot less here and it feels a lot safer. It is a risk but I dont get in cars I dont think I should..