Monday, March 12, 2007

days off just go so quick, had the luxury of a lay in till 10am which was great! then I heard the bell ring and leapt out of bed.. I must be trained well because I ran down to deal with customer before I realised it was my day off and I didnt need to!
Then went on Maori Tours in the afternoon which is a great non-touristy tour. we went to see all the old pa sites and got told all the stories of the nga tahu tribe which was fascinating (there are alot of different tribes, the guy I stayed with in the North Island was from the Ngati Poru tribe which is the biggest in NZ, and Nookie is from the Aroha tribe.. anyway Nga Tahu is the 4th largest) and definately one of the richest.. as it owns whalewatch, franz josef glacier guides and alot of the kayeaking companies in the abel tasman and much more.. it was areally educational and I got taught loads, we learnt a song in maori, went on a native bush walk, had afternoon tea in his house with his family and learn how to weave flax.. I made a flower.
It was a really good tour, normally costs $85 so I was lucky to get it for free.
The horse ride was cancelled due to bad weather but since the weather was okay I reckon they just fancied a day off, it was forecast to go bad and it is yucky today though.
so I went out for dinner and a few pubs with some people i met on the tour which was good. It was nice to get out and see Kaikoura!
Also joined the library and got some books out so that should keep me occupied.
Had a complete panic attack about my photos as they all disappered off my camera without me deleting them but apparently I can go into a camera shop and retrieve them so I shall go and do that next Monday.. and plan other trips to do on my next day off.. I think I shall do the whalewatch..
Lindsey, the girl who has been wwoofing at Fiver Rivers for the last 6 months is going to come and stay Thursday for a few days so I'm looking forward to that!

No comments: