Monday, May 28, 2007

I'm in Methven now, feels so odd to have left Kaikoura. I had been practically counting doen the hours, and the last 24 hours I was never alone between seeing Garen, Vicki and Tatiana.
Kai (that german guy who used to live at the backpackers) also came back Sunday night so I briefly caught up with him.
The buses were rubbish and I wanted to get out of Kaikoura first thing Monday (yesterday) so I had put a few notices up in some backpackers but didnt geyt a response. I rang my fishing buddy Gerry but he wasnt leaving till the afternoon so i decided to just hitch. Stood at the end of Deal St and a nice girl called Bex picked me up. She's from Queenstown but has spent the last 2 years in France but got homesick and had to come home.
She gave me a ride to the turn off to Methven and was so completely lovely (she was so sweet giving me a hug goodbye and arming me with rescure remedy as I have been a little stressed lately!
Its then a really quiet backroad to Methven so I was a bit worried I'd be waiting all day, but an older local guy picked me up and took me to Rangiora, then an older lady in an old big chevy picked me up and took me to Cust, and then an English guy in his 60s whose moved out here made a detour to drive me to Methven where I met up with Charlie and Ruth, we had a drink in a cafe and then headed back to Ruths. Ruth and Charlie have managed to get houses oppostite one another which is pretty cool!
We had a good afternoon, Ruth had to work 2-6pm so Charlie showed me round town and we went for a nicelong walk which felt good since I havent been getting enough exercise while I've been in Kaikoura with being trapped in that backpackers 24/7!
Then Ruths housemate made us a roast dinner which was really good! and charlie and I had bought cheesecake for pudding, we then had a girly evening wathcing desperate housewives and men in trees which was cool!
I was going to leave first thing for Timaru but Ruth invited me to stay another night so I've hung out with Ruth and Charlie all day, now Ruths at work for a couple of hours so I thought I'd catch up with my emails. We are going out this evening for Jug and Curry night, some kind of 10 dollar deal which sounds good! Methvens still not as busy as it shoudl be, all ski areas are dead, of full of people waiting as it has been the warmest and driest May since records began apparently! After a really late starting summer we are having an incredibly late starting Winter. There is literally NO snow on the ski mountain here! just as well I'm not relying on ski season work!!
So I intend to head to Timaru tomorrow I think. Dont start the wwoofing job in Lake Tekapo till 4th June. So got a few days to occupy myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your weather sounds to be a mirror image as to what is happening here. Global warming etc.

Anonymous said...

It is funny hearing about you being "On the road again".
You certainly sound as if you have lots of places with friends to visit all over the world now!
You won't have time to come back to England again!!! (can't say I blame you)
We just had a lovely week in a quiet spot in Lanzarote. We hired a car so we saw all the interesting parts of the island.
love mum xx

Melissa said...

yeah tis very weird, stil alot of the ski areas have not opened yet.. I was lucky (unlucky depeding on how you look at it) enough to be in the snowy area the last couple of weeks!
yeah tis weird myself being on the road again!
Am very lucky to have met such lovely people along the way, just hope I can get to see them all in their own home countries at some point!
Lanzerote sounds great, liked the photos on your website!