Thursday, September 06, 2007

Childminding

What with testing out another career option in the last few weeks (Kathmandu ie travel/outdoors shops I have been thinking more about what I may want to do when I settle somewhere. I enjoy working at Kathmandu but have found myself missing children and gravitate towards them when they come in the shop! I miss the Child Care Centres but know it would be completely different in the UK what with all the govt targets and OFSTED so have been thinking about becoming a childminder. I hear they are now ofsteded in the UK but surely it cant be as bad as nurseries? Obviouslyn this is completely long term as I need a house to be able to set it up.. but its definately an option for the future - especially when I've got children of my own! I could even turn it into a mini nursery and employ one member of staff?!
I have booked my flight leaving Nelson arrivng in Taupo. So I leave Nelson on 3rd December, spend a few days in the North Island doing the Tongariro crossing and chilling out on Waiheke Island and go to Australia on 9th December - all flights booked and sorted!!
I had a day off a couple of days ago (when I put my photos up) and realiswed just how tired I was when I finally stopped. I have been working so hard lately! My next day off is in another 9 days time...
I am reading "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson at the moment. Am really into his books at the moment. I must be completely ignorant because I had never heard of the Apalachian trail before I started reading it!
The whole of NZ is going to be kanckered for a while as the rugby is going to be on at 4:30am!! (no rugby for me then - sorry I dont care that much!!)
Lou (one of my best freinds back home) moved to Milan yesterday, she's going to be an English teacher for then as she just last week received her certificate to say she passed her TEFL course (or it might have been TESOL?) Anyway I'm really excited for her..I know nothing about Milan except that I would love to go!! If I was in the Uk I would have gone to see her and I'm guessing my the time I go back to Europe she'll have moved on somewhere else..
I went to the cinema last night with Helen (I'm very lucky as Kathmandu the cinema and my house are all within about 1 minutes walk of one another! so I ordered a pizza to pick up after work and took it into the cinema with me (great Italian place above the cinema). Saw the film Premonition which is one of those films which is not scary for anybody but myself. For the entire film my heart was in my throat and I had my fleece pulled over my mouth for the entire film and hid under it entirely regularly!
I have the next 2 days off from kathmandu but it is my weekend managing the backpackers and on Sunday I train the new managers Matthew and Louise.. hopefully that will all be good.
Anyway gotta go.. got to get back in time for Shortland Street! (yes I really am that sad!!) I missed it last night as I was at the cinema but luckily Carolyn at work filled me in on it this morning!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh thinking about you sitting there scared stiff in the cinema!! I can just imagine you with your sweatshirt pulled over your head (some things never change).
Glad all is going well.
Love MUM xx

Melissa said...

yeah I do have this habit of amusing people in the cinema, when I watched Die Hard 4 the other week I jumped so high into the air the guy next to me couldnt stop laughing at me. I cant help it though.. I am such a wimp!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that you are best employed with young children. You have a gift because you have a genuine interest in them. Children however young somehow recognise this.

Melissa said...

yeah i guess.. funny how I made myself try other jobs but always come back to kids!! I really miss my babies while Im at kathmnadu!