Sunday, April 27, 2008


So… all changes pretty quickly here. The calf sheds were easier but I was still making loads of mistakes and feeling stupid and beginning not to sleep.. I was developing fears of Andrew, David and Nel because I was convinced I was going to get told off every time I saw them.. (Which I probably was- because I was bound to be doing something wrong) and an important part of the calf shed is to drive the milk truck that has NO (none at all) brakes, and a dodgy pull start and choke.. And every time I had to ask someone to drive it for me I was treated like they were doing a he favor for me.. And then lots of milk had to be dumped (it’s the sick herd milk so cant be used for anything but calves) because the sick herd is too big and there aren’t enough calves to drink it all.. so when Andrew saw me dumping it I got bollocked.. when in actual fact that much gets dumped everyday he just didn’t know about it.. so after getting told off everyday I was starting to have a heart attack every time I saw and heard a tractor and of course since people are starting and finishing work at random times so I could hear the tractors at random times when I was trying to sleep.. So on Thursday I knew nel would be doing the rosta for the following week so I plucked up the courage and said that I thought I might leave next week so could she not put me on the rosta.. She was clearly really happy because I’d overheard discussions between management that they couldn’t afford me, as someone needed to be with me all the time. So obviously she wasn’t that upset. So then I went and looked at flights and booked a flight for Tuesday. As that was the cheapest day. The same day I found a job in Adelaide and got it. So I’ll be working at a backpackers, who do tours of the great ocean road and also own apple orchards so have apple-picking work too. So hopefully all will work out.
So I fly out tomorrow into Melbourne, spend the night in Melbourne and then head to Phillip Island, Sorrento and then get the ferry to Queenscliff where my great Aunty Sheila will pick me up. And I’m going to spend the weekend there. It’s really unusual for me to have a plan!
Since I made the decision I have felt a lot better. I have been working really well in the calf sheds.. haven’t done anything wrong.. in fact have been in charge of them for a few days.. and life has been one nonstop party.. my weekends are mad here.. I end up going out 4 nights in a row and rarely getting in before dawn.. this weekends been a heavy one..
I felt terrible as not only had I not rung Oz to tell him it wasn’t going to go anywhere I’d now booked a flight and not told him.. So when he rang and I was out partying somewhere and Joc told him he was pretty upset and came straight over to wait for me to get home.. he organized a party for the following night anyway.. it was absolutely brilliant!! A mad night..! we had this massive bonfire outside and the boys were all wrestling and getting themselves burnt. then we went out on the ute and they put mattresses on the back so I could get flung around… I did think I might die any moment but all in good fun..! We ended up at Penny’s lagoon where of course we thought it would be a good idea to get naked and skinny dip!! So there’s me with 5 naked guys running through the bush into a very muddy lagoon… amusingly the boys didnt get dressed again for the journey home so there we are with two naked guys on the back on a Ute and me in the front with 3 other naked guys. Even the driver was naked. I would have loved to see what would have happened if the police would have stopped us… Classic night anyway…! Went home to oz’s and collapsed in front of a movie. the boys eventually decided to put some clothes on.. I was freezing. Thought I was going to die of pneumonia.. Debatable whther that was because of penny’s lagoon or laying outside having beer tipped on my head… Jenny tipped beer on my head if I wasn’t singing English nursery rhymes.. As soon as I starting singing again he would stop and vice versa…
So the flowing day feeling bit rough I hose the yards for the very last time (YAY!!) and snooze in my lunch break.. Then we decide to go out down the club for dinner and then off to the golfy for some drinks.. I was feeling tired and a bit worse for wear to by 10:30pm I was in the car asleep.. Now I’m not sure how this happened but somehow everyone drove home and I got left in the pub with Jamie, Fatima and Neil with my ride home gone for the night… so I could either sit and sulk or sleep in the corner of the pub. or I could just roll with it and chat up the guys.. They’re so cute showing photos of their tractors! Though it does seem everyone knows me.. People came up and go oh you’re the pommy girl from the party… oh you’re the girl that went skinny-dipping with the boys. Oh you’re the girl oz likes aren’t you? And believe me all the boys happily cop a feel.. They really are funny! I accept that is as they put it.. we just don’t get the chance, because there are no single girls.. But I can’t complain.. the social scene on King island has been amazing. I have never gone out so much, never drunk so much or been so popular. but its time for me to leave before it all catches up on me..!
Anyway back to my night out. Eventually its time for chuck out time. the new English guy on the farm is driving me insane bitching about the locals and calling them hicks and hillbillies and rubbing them up the wrong way.. And saying he’s nice English guy who knows how to respect women etc.. So eventually I end up somehow on the streets with about 20x16-20 years old boys.. With them all wandering town looking for the next party. then Neil was riling them all up asking for a fight and things were getting heavy.. and I wondered how on earth I’d got myself in the situation of hanging on street corners watching street fights.. As bottles were smashed and put the faces and can lit up and thrown as bombs and one came flying towards my face I’d have enough. So Kyle whisked me off and I spent the night on his mates couch and he took me home in the morning.. I got him to drive around the streets before we left searching for them unconscious somewhere but didn’t find them… by the time I got home I discovered this was because they had been taken home by the police.. Neil was going to get himself flattened by the local guys (his story of course is that he was jumped.. but since I observed him turning into a nasty drunk wielding broken bottles I don’t believe a word of it..) and Jamie stepped in to stop him getting himself killed.. Unfortunately he flattened a few guys and knocked a few teeth out during the process and the police nearly arrested them and asked Neil to book his flight off the island! But they got home before me.. I didn’t make it in till 7:30am and then went straight into the calf sheds.. I was done by 11am and wanted to go for a sleep but just as I was dozing off Joc told me Oz would be picking me up in half an hour.. Still half an hour for a sleep… but no such luck Jamie came and got me to help move a dead calf which had been sitting their for a few days in the paddock and pretty gross.. He was throwing up attaching ropes to it so I had to do the job. Then just as I’m back covered in shit etc Oz is here and I have to go out.. We had a good day and went back to Penny’s lagoon, to Martha’s beach, yellow rock, and then to see the penguins and grassy in the evening. It was great.. so finally made it hoem at 10pm having had no sleep for 36 hours and only a couple on 48 hours I was feeling a tad tired… but now its today, I have the day off to pack and catch up and finish my book before I fly out tomorrow.. Am planning on staying in tonight but Kyle might come over to take me hunting.. We’ll see…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow all change again - with your jobs and travels etc.
When you go to Auntie Sheila's give her our love and tell her to email us about how she is etc.
Good luck with your move.
love mum xx

Anonymous said...

Glad you are going to see Sheila. She is not your real Auntie as you know. Not even mine. She is my mother's cousin. The daughter of my mother's legendary Auntie Iris.

Melissa said...

Yeah you know me.. constant change.. am at Shelias now - been reading family trees and realising how little I know about my own family!!
m x