Friday, May 02, 2008

I'm free.. I'm free!!

Yay no more cows!!
the flight went well.. Jamie was mean to me all morning before I caught the flight so I nearly cried.. Tamara reassured me it was because he'll miss me!
I arrived in Melbourne and checked in the YHA and promptly got my legs waxed.. that was all I cared about getting done in Melbourne while I was there! she did comment on the amount of bruises I had.. when I told her stories of being flung about on the back of a ute she was sorry she asked!
I will put up photos of that night (I know your dying to see lots of naked man pics!!) at some point soon!!
Anyway, the next day I got on a train to go to Phillip Island.. yes me.. public transport!! Danielle was really happy with me.. she didnt need to worry about me hithchiking for once!! LOL,, except I missed the station I was meant to change at because I had a psycho gang member sitting next to me terrifying me out my wits.. I knew the second he got on the train he was bad news.. he had this aura about him of arrogance and power.. anyway after he'd attacked the poor indian guy after his mobile phone had gone off with a bollywood tune and he'd had his racist rant he spotted me backpack.. apparently we should all get out of his country.. anyway.. after that i got off the train and hitchhiked.. far safer than public transport.. got picked up by this nice italian couple who took me to my hostel and then drove me round the island.. we went and saw the nobbies and red rocks etc and then to see the penguins.. it was bloody freezing but there were about a 1000 penguins marching accross the sand to their nests for the night which was a cool sight to see.. and then the are just runnign around the paths.. and its "false" mating season so they are really funny to watch!!
Their car had been leaking fuel which we discovered was the fuel injectors and stank really bad.. we stopped in at a garage and they said stop driving.. but they ignored it so I let them just drop me back in Cowes while they tried to drive back to melbourne.. it wasnt that long till I got a text back to say the car had started smoking.. and they'd had to stop.. I had told them I wouldnt have gone back to melbourne in it as I quite valued my lif but they were determined!!
Back at the hostel i ended up sharing with another itlaian girl who had, had a bad experience at a helpx host.. she'd gone to stay with an older guy on his own with no lighting in his house and had got a bit freaked out.. so ended up having to counsel her till late.. dont know how she manages to trvael alone really.. well she hasnt had to so far.. she split up with her boyfriend last week and now has to travel alone.. I give her a week till she books a flight home.. I guess trvaelling together tests relationships.. I've met lots of people who have split up with their partners they came trvaelling with lately!

2 comments:

Paul E said...

Glad you are alright. It must be a really different experence travelling as a single woman as well, as apposed to a single man or a couple.

It's funny to me that hitching would be percieved more safe then public transport.

Melissa said...

yeah I'm fine! glad to escape the farm!!
Yeah I guess it is a bvery different experience.. i know if I travelled with anyone else I would be having acompletely different time.. not bad just different!
lol yeah i maye possible be the only person in the world who says that abnout hitching and public transport though!!
M x