Friday, August 03, 2007

Because I said So!

I went to the first session of the course at the Womens Centre. It was good. I was very dubious but it was alright! If I'm not working this Wednesday then I'll go again.
Finally got called to work on Thursday, I was very pleased about that, theres only so many books you can read or TV you can watch.. and then on Friday I went over to Helen's in the morning for a gossip, then we headed over to work for lunch cos they'd ordered Dominoes Pizza and everyone knows I'm poor at the moment! then Helen and I went for a walk on the beach because it was a gorgeous day. I phoned around a couple of childcare centres but it seems nobody needs any relievers. But thank fully I have 3 days of work booked for next week. Monday working at Kathmandu the outdoors shop helping with stocktaking, Tuesday and Friday at Founders Park Child Care Centre, and then I'll be working at the backpackers at the weekend.(well presumably I will since the auction of the backpackers is on the 10th)! I am putting my application forms into lots of places to make sure I get as much work as possible. I realise that I didnt get that bad a pay in Kaikoura and it would have been really easy over the winter but on the other hand I know I did the right thing leaving..
anyway back to yesterday, Helen fed me tea then we went out to the cinema with the girls from work, went to see "Because I said So" which I enjoyed (not the best film I've ever seem but good nevertheless.
Emily and I went to look at travel books in the local bookshops yesterday too as she is going to Australia in November and I have lost an nz/aussie guide I did have. We were shocked as all the trvael guides were $60!! thats ridiculous!! books are a ridiculous price here in general.. so I'll stcik with reading those in the library and hope that I come accross one in a bookswap before I fly out in Auckland or something! (or they might be cheaper in Auckland bookshops)
We now have a darts team arriving at the backpackers staying for a week who are completely filling the place so I'll be sharing my room again so i hope their okay. Helen says if their not I can come and stay for a night or 2..
People keep mentioning Switzerland to me. It seems to come up in conversation everywhere I go.. and twice last year 2 different tarot readers said I was destined to go there.. so I'm thinking I should go and see it as soon as I get near Europe!!
20/20 this week was on Nelson (a current affairs programme). I'm wondering if it will effect our English Language Tourism Industry as it was on racism and horrible things that have happened to Asians, they interviewed these racist horrible girls and had video footage of skinheads beating Koreans up. Apparently its no worse than any other town in NZ so they said. That wouldnt reassure me if I was asian. I guess the same and worse happens in the UK.
The man accused of murdering the 28 years old backpacker on the North Island was convicted this week. She was hitchhiking. Kinda scary since I am 28 and hitchhike.. I actually havent hitchiked since hospital. its not that I'm scared, I think NZ is probably the safest place to hitchhike. I mean obviously I was feeling too ill to be standing on the side of the road after I got out of hospital and I was feeling so thankful to be alive I wanted to look after myself.. and I guess that feeling has stuck by me.. valueing myself more and not wanting to put myself at risk.. But god hitchhiking is a hell of alot cheaper than buses!! Still I hear in Australia theres always tonnes of notices in backpackers with other backpackers wanting to share rides so that may be my best bet..
My travel insurance runs out this week.. I think I am deciding not to extend it.. mainly because I cant, they said last time it was the last time I could extend it.. I dont really have much stuff worth stealing, and medical care is good, they have a recipricol agreement in Oz with the UK like NZ does (which is why I didnt have to pay anything in hospital). It is a risk though.. apparently ambulance rides arent free and I guess if you need helicoptering out of the outback its going to be expensive.. maybe I should look into how I can get it?
Anyway am off to read the local Saturday paper and see if theres any decent jobs..! I'm willing to do a day here and there everywhere! theres a possiblility of more work at Kathmandu if Monday goes well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do not hitch hike in OZ!

Melissa said...

yeah, had a feeling you might say that!! I've had fun hitchhiking but think my hitchhiking days may be over! I dont fancy getting attacked and dumped in the outback (which is pretty much murder)and oz seems alot more dodgy than little old NZ!